A Win for the Ages!!!



Last Saturday I drove down to San Jose to deliver another motivational speech in hopes of preparing the Woodcreek High School's Varsity basketball team for the biggest games of their season to date. They were playing for a shot to move on to the Northern California Championship game, adn they were going against the number one seed in the tournament, Arch Bishop Mitty. Mitty is a private catholic school, and they were favored in the game to win (obviously as number 1 seed). The drive was about 2.5 hours from Sacramento, quite a long way for a high school team to travel.
I was fired up all day about this one, as there seemed to be some controversy about who should have been seeded higher in teh tournament. Mitty had more losses than Woodcreek did in there season, and was ranked lower than Woodcreek in most rankings yet tehy still received the 1 seed. So this pissed me off. The favortism to the bay area teams, making us drive all the way down there rather than them up to Sac. It got my blood boiling.
I got down there with plenty of time, and I went in and I delivered my speech to the kids. It was one of my best yet, and they were so pumped up. I had to quiet them down 3x so I could finish my speech. It was AWESOME!
The game, was one of the most tense, and excitnig games I've ever seen. The Mitty kids were a great team. they were well prepared, shot the shit out of the ball, and looked to be more than we could handle. After being down fro almost the entire game, Woodcreek turned up the intensity. Down by 10 points with only 2:30 left to play, Woodcreek started to chip away at the lead. Mitty didnt know how to respond, and the tide started to turn. You could see them literally crumbling under the pressure. Woodcreek tied the game, brought it to overtime, and then sealed the deal winning the game by 9 points.
It was one of the most awesome victories EVER. The photo above is me going into the locker room and celebrating with them. Sharing my excitement, and congratulating them on an outstanding win!!!
Next up. Nor Cal Championship. At ARCO Arena. Lets do this shit. We're not done yet!

Comments

Post a Comment