No Oil - No Drive

I worked with this guy named James back in the day, at Budget Rent a Car. It was at the Oakland Airport. Our job was to take clean and dirty cars to and from the airport terminal where people could take them or drop them off for us to take back. It was a fun job, because of people like James. One time we were all in the shuttle on the way to pick up a bunch of cars from teh airport on one of the busy drop off days. We saw some guy walking back to his car that was parked on teh side of the road, and he was carrying a gas can, obviously heading back to his car to fill it up because he'd run out. James was this old black guy with a short white/grayed out afro type of hair cut. He was always making jokes, and bagging on everybody. He was the type of guy that could hold court in a group of guys and bag on everyone in some fashion and everyone, including the guy gettnig bagged on would be in tears laughin so hard they almost( and sometimes did) fall over. So we see this guy, and james looks out at him, and says "Ha, dumb muthafucker tried to drive with gas!" and then started laughing along with everyone else in the van. That saying has rang true in my head so many times, especially when I look down and see that I'm getting low on gas, and am thinknig of pushing it, telling myself, you can make it, just go. Then james' low, gravelly voice would come up, dumb muthafucka tried to drive wiht no gas. That always solved it, adn I stopped at the closest station adn filled up.

Well yesterday, I was driving home, and my check engine light came on. I found out today that it was teh result of driving with "little to no oil in the car sir" according to our friendly techs at Mel Rapton Honda in Sacramento. Well I'll be damned, I thought to myself. Luckily I was bright enough last night to pull over and put two quarts of oil in the fucknig thing before trying to drive it all the way home from the bay area. I would have blew my motor, and very well could have done some severe damage already. All is good though according to the mechanics, but now I've got an add-on to James' saying. "Dumb muthafucka cant drive with no gas, and the car sure as fuck cant drive without no oil!"

So, lesson of the day. Dont drive with no gas. Dont drive a car with no oil. If you've driven a car for more than 5,000 miles, get your oil changed or at least check it.

MT

Comments