Just do it, and figure it out as you go

So after we got into town today, we were eating lunch, and a thought occured to me. I have no clue what I am doing. What I mean is that so many times in the past, I would think of doing something, be it camping, or going somewhere, or whatever, and something always held me back. I would find all these excuses, and reasons why I couldnt do it. I didnt have the right gear, I needed certain stuff, I needed the BEST stuff, I didnt have the time, I didnt have the money, I cant go alone, or whatever it was. While I was eating it occured to me that sometimes you just gotta say fuck it, and do it. Figure it out as you go, and dont let your mind create these obstacles in front of you that may not even exist. Here I am in PAnama, and I have just rode a fricken bike for over 100 miles across some pretty crazy terrain, in rain, in wind, in gravel, on freeways, across bridges etc. I have river rafting bags strapped to the back of a mountain bike that I rented. I bought a helmet when I got here. I have never done anything like this before, but I wanted to do it. I am not a cyclist, I went to spin class at the gym for a month and a half before this trip. I hadnt gotten on a bike on the road for almost two years before that. I started to think back to all of the times in my life where I simply didnt do something because I didnt think I could, or just talked myself out of it. It was an AH HA! moment for me, and I felt it inside. I have been getting emails every day from people who are reading, and following the trip on both Aaron and I´s blogs, and they say that they are being inspired, that what we are doing is great, that it is making a difference not only for our cause, but to them as well. I know exactly what they mean, because when I was following Aarons blog during his round the world adventure, I was inspired. I didnt wnat to inhibit myself anymore, and so it was profound this afternoon, when I realized that I was actually doing it. Doing what I always told myself I would, JUST DO IT. Figure it out. Go For IT. Dreams can happen. Life can happen. We just gotta do it. It is these little ah ha moments that are gifts from our inside, from our soul, that are telling us, hey you´re getting it, keep it going, share it, and just do it and figure it out as you go. So I just wanted to share my moment wiht all of you and hope that you can recognize the obstacles you are creating for yourself, and simply ignore them.

dreams
do you ever just sit and stare
and think of whats waiting for you out there
or lay yourself down on a beautiful beach
and think of the dreams that are within your reach
your dreams may seem so far away
and many obstacles may block your way
but to reach as high as you can
you must be a focused woman or man
so count on yourself and you will find
how to achieve dreams of any kind

by MTW circa 1997

Comments

  1. Hi Michael, excellent poem. Thank you for sharing the experience on here. There is more to follow here than what you write. There's also the example you guys are setting of what it means to be a caring human being and making meaningful contributions along your way. No matter where you are... and having fun while you're at it! "Nothing can substitute experience." -P.C. Okay, and my favorite part is seeing your bike packed full of stuff... and then reading about how you were going to put gel in your hair. You packed. Gel. In there. Pimp. Whether you did or not, the correlation made me SMILE today. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is my favorite post so far. I'm so moved by it.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment