A story

I needed to take a walk, even though I had no particular destination in mind. I knew I needed to leave the house or I was going to go crazy. I stumbled down my old wooden staircase, each step creaking under my weight, adn reminding me that they were much older than I was. Each creak was the step wishing I'd tread lighter when I traveled upon them. Ms Potter cracked her door to see who was coming down the stairs. She never said much, but she was always peaking out to see who was coming in and who was coming out. I wonder what she thought of me, or of the motley crue of characthers I had in and out of my apartment, or if she ever did. I never gave her much thought, but this morning as I headed down I noticed something different about her. I couldnt quite tell what it was but I knew there was something. The thought fleeted my mind almost as quickly as it came, but the sensation I got from her stayed although I dont think I noticed it at the time. She was a nice old woman I thought, I wonder if she had ever had a broken heart too.
I got to the bottom of hte stairs, and walked across teh lobby. James, the resident cat was stretched out along the area rug, basking in the morning sun. I wasnt sure exactly what time it was, I didnt look at a clock before I left my apt. I was envious of James, he had the life I thought to myself. He got to lay around and sleep all day, be lazy in the sun, curl up into multiple arms, and be loved on by people who wanted nothing more in return than to have him sit with them for a bit. Then at night, he was free to go off and do as he pleased. He could roam the streets for trouble, look for love or feed his lust in the moonlight, sing with the alley cats, or watch as the city's sinners sinned, and the citys winners won. That was a life I could get used to I thought to myself. I nodded to James as I walked by, and his eyes met mine, and it was as if even James too knew of the pain of a broken heart.
Stepping out into the sunshine, it was an amazing, crisp, autumn San Francisco morning. The smell of fresh rain still in the air, and the sunlgight glittering off of the ground, where the small puddles of water had gahtered to evaporate. A slight breeze chilled my ears, making me pull my hood up over my head. I headed down the street towards the water. I didnt really know where I was going, I just knew that I had to get out of my apartment. I walked and walked adn walked, with the sounds of her final words playing in my mind. She loved me, she said, she loved me and she misssed me. . .. . . .. .
To be continued.

Comments