July 3rd - VACATION!!!

It may seem like a long ways away, and quite frankly, so much can happen between now and then, but I am setting everything up and getting ready for it. Here is the plan. I have July 3rd off, which is a Friday. So I am going to have my car all packed up, I'll probably be driving the Honda. Good 'ol Astro has a few long trips in him yet. I am driving up North, to Crescent City. I am staying at this Hostel in the middle (or on the edge but whatever) of the Redwood National Forest. Check it out. http://www.norcalhostels.org/redwoods It is 21 bucks a night, and I will be in a room with 10 other co-eds. Whatever. I looked at hotels and the cheapest was 99 a night, and a camp site was 20 a night. The hostel looks amazing, and it is only 15-20 minutes away from Crescent City. Plus, if you have ever stay in a hostel you know, that you always meet very interesting and fun people who are looking to do things and explore the area, so that is a definite plus.
While in Crescent City, and pretty much my only reason for going there at all, is to visit my friend Eric. He is an inmate in Pelican Bay State Prison. Eric is my ex-girlfriend Kari's cousin, and the two of us went up to visit him a couple of times while we were together. I absolutely loved those trips! We always had so much fun, and it was always so beautiful. The entire experience of going into the prison and being there is quite depressing, and can be a bit draining. When I first met Eric, I was inspired. Here was a man on the latter end of a 19 year prison sentence, in solitary confinement for the better part of 5 years at that point, in the highest security section, of the highest security prison in California. He has witnessed and experienced some crazy shit, and most of it he wont even talk about until he gets out. What I do know though, is that he and I have become good friends, and we write letters back and forth to one another regularly. Eric has developed a very strong and disciplined sense of self, with a very strong moral code, and integrity. sharing things that are going on in my life, Eric has reminded me time and again that I need to stay true to who I am, and man up to my responsibilities of being a man. Whether it is in regards to fathering a foster son, of respecting a woman who is giving her love to me, and loving her back the way she deserves, or giving it my all at my work place. He is one of the people who helps me to keep accoutable to myself. Outside of that, when you talk to him, it is still so inspiring to see that he has so much life left in him. He really is a true to life example that proves that freedom truly is from within. He laughs, and smiles, nad shares stories and jokes, and he is so alive, it is amazing. So with all of that being said I plan on visiting with him on both Saturday and Sunday. It will be my first visit with him by myself, since the last two times I have been up there I was with Kari. I wonder what it will be like to be in that part of the state, and doing all that without her. the only time i have ever been to any part of Nor cal coast was with her, so this will be interesting to see how I feel, and the memories and thoughts that come up during that whole thing. Especially since I have such great memories of both trips. hmmmm.
So I am really looking forward to that. Crescent City is beautiful, the hostel looks great, and I am sure it will be a fun time.
It doesnt stop there either. I am leaving Sunday to meet my family, my sister Jackie, her husband and two kids (my nieces) and they bring friends, plus my brother his wife and kids, two family friends and there two kids, my cousin, my other brohter, and my parents. We will be camping out at Lost Creek Lake near Crater Lake in Oregon for a week. I'll be wake boarding every day. Relaxing, enjoying the sunshine, and eating all week. Oh my I cant wait.
I think the funny thing is that I have a feeling I wont actually be making the trip alone? someone, from out of the blue, is gonna come too. Is that you? You wanna go?
Anyway, I just booked my hostel room, so I am all pumped on it. thought I'd share
later
MT

Comments

Post a Comment