Pep Talk -

I had probably the worst day at work that I've ever had. I was overwhelmed, stressed, and felt like I had absolutely no grasp on what was going on. My general manager called me in and was asking a ton of questions that I didnt have answers to, he was saying that I should know things about accounts, and numbers that I didnt even really know what he was referring to, and on top of that my day to day duties were piling up on me and I was lost. I almost broke down. I went into my bosses offices and confessed this to him, and even said that I didnt know if I should even have this job because I wasnt feeling capable. I finished the day out, my boss did a great job of settling me down, and walking me off the edge so to speak. At the end of hte day though, I got in my car and was driving home and I called my dad. I wasnt sure what my dad was supposed to do, but maybe it was the little boy in me, reaching out to him in search of comfort, telling me it is going to be ok.
My dad has never been one big on advice. I tihnk I can count on one hand the number of times he has given me direct advice on what I should or should not be doing. He listened to me whine on the phone, and he listened to me complain, and I think he could sense that I was distraught, and feeling totally lost. After a little of the listening, he did something I never would have expected. My dad gave me a pep talk. He said, "You know you always like a challenge! and you are a Ward, and Ward's dont know the word "can't". You are smart, and you always figure things out. You know I just watched Grandpa get up and take 5 steps, and climb 5 stairs after his hip surgery. The man is just about blind and def, and all the women in that rehab place speak broken English which makes it hard for him, but he did it. That is what Ward's do, that is how we work. So buck up son. You're gonna do fine! I love you"
I thin that was the best pep talk I've ever got, and the fact that it came from my dad, made it that much better. What I heard was, you can do it, you always do it, stop whining, and get it done. I love you. You rock Dad, you fucking rock!

Comments